Sunday, May 29, 2016

Upcoming Travel Plans

Last June I posted about my travel plans for the summer of adventure that was to follow. This summer there are definitely more adventures to be had, yet they are much more flexible and spontaneous and, quickly approaching as they may be, not yet finalized.  So while these are as close to solid plans as we've got right now, we'll see where life takes us this summer.

Mini-trips and Free Time

At the end of June my current job ends and my extended summer vacation before the new job starts at the end of August begins. I put a lot of thought into when I would end my current position and worried a lot about my German visa situation, but as even that obstacle turned out to be a non-issue, I'm extremely happy with my decision and looking forward to unwinding before taking on the next big challenge.

I plan to spend the beginning of July taking care of some bureaucratic business I've been putting off (German driver's license being the biggest bit!) and doing some home improvements in the apartment.  The summer season is a bit busier for band and choir, so I'll be spending some more time than usual at rehearsals and performances. I would love, however, to be able to sneak away on one or two ''mini-trips'' to other towns in Germany, even if just for a weekend or even day trip.  On the wish list right now are Karlsruhe, Bamberg, Heidelberg, and Esslingen to name a few.

Ukraine

While Mario and I will be traveling further East, I'm planning to leave almost a week before him in order to spend some time in Ukraine. I'll probably spend most of the time in Kiev, but a trip to Kharkiv is on the books as well.

Russia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan

From Ukraine it's onward to Russia and beyond - all over land! Train travel in post-Soviet countries has always been a highlight of my journeys in the region and I'm looking forward to spending some more time in platzkart and exploring some new destinations.

Jordan, Lebanon, Cyprus

This part of the trip is still very much in the planning phases, but we'd like to hit up a few more countries on the way back to Germany and these are looking like the three most likely.  Mario is trying awfully hard to get a couple of others on the list, but considering that I'm slightly less than enthusiastic about said additions, we'll see what comes of it.

Bologna, Italy

Starting in September Mario is studying in Italy for 6 months.  At the end of August is when he'll move down and I'm sure there will be several trips down to visit during the semester.


Here's to hoping that June passes by stress-free and that everything comes together for the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment