Sunday, May 15, 2016

Day Trip to Würzburg

Cold weather and rain is unfortunately again upon us, but in the first week of May something like spring made a short appearance and had me itching for a little travel.  So on a gloriously sunny Saturday morning I met two girlfriends at the Central Station and set out to Würzburg via a short train switch in Nürnberg.  Lucky for us, Würzburg is reachable with the Bavaria ticket and we found two other travelers willing to let us have the ticket afterwards for the return journey, so both there and back cost us a grand total of 8.60 each!

Off we go!
The first order of business when we arrived in Würzburg was lunch and what looked like a nice little Italian restaurant turned out to be something amazing when we discovered their sunny terrace overlooking the river Main.  As I sat there basking in the sunshine and sipping my weinschorle I was once again reminded why I choose to call Europe home.

Maibaum (Maypole) which is raised in the city center on the 1st of May

Main Square of Würzburg

Sipping weinschorle in the sun 
Lunch with a view
With our bellies filled up we began the hike up to the castle with many a picture taking stop along the way. And while I would have been perfectly content to spend several more hours perched up on the castle walls overlooking Würzburg's historic buildings, we eventually decided to head back down into the city to check out the Residence and the gardens behind it.  Our timing was even perfect to catch the bus down, which we could also ride using our Bavaria ticket.

Würzburg, you're a gem!
Best friends and beautiful views

I'll just stay up here all day
After checking out the Residence we wandered back to the central station where iced coffee was enjoyed before starting our journey back to Munich.  I leaned my head against the window and let the sun shine on my face as I alternated between watching the passing countryside and dozing off.  We went to Würzburg with absolutely no plan and only the expectation that we would enjoy a stress-free day. I'm sure there is much more to do in and around Würzburg if you have the time, but what we saw and did in the half a day we spent there was perfect for me.

So, when do we move in??

Colorful gardens 




No comments:

Post a Comment