Saturday, February 21, 2015

''The Mitten''

One of my goals for my kiddos is to make them lovers of reading. No matter what their specific individual interests may be, I want them to crave the knowledge that lies between the pages of books and fill up their imaginations with stories of heroes and adventurers of every kind.

On Thursday we had a read aloud of  Jan Brett's "The Mitten" and I wanted to share the lesson plan and activity that we used as we read this winter tale on a cold, snowy day here in Munich.

Lesson Prep:

The night before I made copies of animals and mittens. I used these patterns from "Enchanted Learning", although I had to supplement them, as not all of the animals from the actual story are on the forest animals print out. I colored and labeled one set of animals, decorated a mitten, cut out enough mitten patterns for the kiddos, and called it a night for preparation.
Displaying IMG_20150218_203927.jpg

Displaying IMG_20150218_203847.jpg

Displaying IMG_20150218_203833.jpg
Displaying IMG_20150218_204051.jpg


Interactive read aloud:

I started out by showing the students a mitten vocabulary card and the mitten I had decorated and prompting them to tell me what it is called in English (we reviewed English clothing vocabulary in January).
My next step was to give the mitten to one of the students and ask her to look inside. Inside she found the animals and as she pulled each one out I made a big show of asking , "Huh?! What?!? How did THAT get in there?!?". The kids eat that kind of silliness right up.

Displaying IMG_20150218_204003.jpg

Once we were all thoroughly puzzled about the animals who had all come out of the mitten, I showed them the book and told them that it is titled "The Mitten". I then explained that we were going to read this book together and find out just what those sneaky forest creatures tucked inside of a little mitten was all about. Throughout the read aloud different students where chosen to identify the animals and place them inside of the mitten, following the text of the book. As anyone who has read the story knows, the book ends with the bear letting out a big sneeze and the animals flying out of the mitten.  Little paper animals went flying all over our reading circle!

Activity and retelling the story:

The next day during reading time we reviewed the forest animal vocabulary by going through the story and putting the animals into the mitten again, but without reading the book in its entirety again.  

The students then worked on the task of decorating their own mittens and animals, practiced retelling the story to each other, and were encouraged to share the story in English with their parents at home. 

Results:

I absolutely loved teaching this lesson, the children were engaged, new English vocabulary was learned, and we worked on our storytelling skills!

I love my job! 

1 comment:

  1. Awesome lesson, Chels! You made that book come alive, and the children will certainly remember that story much better than had you just read the book. :-)

    ReplyDelete