Saturday, December 20, 2014

Third week on the job - updates and reflections

By the time you read this I will be in Azerbaijan with three of my favorite travel mates. And as if that wasn't cool enough, we'll be stopping in Ukraine on the way home! Kiev here I come!!!! I'm not even sure which country I'm more excited for, but I'm sure neither will disappoint!

In the past three weeks I have found more patience than I ever thought possible. Unlike my coworker who seems to think it's okay to speak to the non-german speakers in English instead of German, I abide by the rule of everyone stays in his or her mother tongue. And of course it's frustrating to say the same thing 100 times and be met with blank stares, but if they understand me the 101st time or the 1001st time, it was still worth it. There are days when I want to shout "just speak German!!!" but so far I've kept my cool.

I've also discovered how awesome it is to have an employee that pays for my gym membership. Such a great stress reliever to be able to go run a few miles after work! I can't wait until the location I go to is finished with it's remodeling and I can check out some of their group exercise classes (and embarrass myself in front of a bunch of German strangers haha).

This past week a teacher from another group has been helping out in my group and it has been oh so refreshing to have someone so positive around for a change. I think I love my job 100x more this week just because she has been there!

The benefits of working here, both at my job specifically and in Germany in general, are amazing. In addition to the gym membership I am fed for free (and really well!) at work and can have coffee, tea, and fruit throughout the day. I am fully insured by one of the public health insurances available here and signing up was just about one of the easiest things I have done. To top it off, I opened the mail to find an 80€ check from my health insurance! Win!

Speaking of health insurance, I'm sure I will need to make use of it before too long considering how much ick and uck is coming out of all the kiddos noses and mouths and what not. Just one of the hazards of the job ;)

Anyhow, three weeks in and I'm still happy as a clam.

I'm off to explore more of Azerbaijan and can't wait to share all the adventures when we get back!

2 comments:

  1. Chelsea, it sounds like things are great for you! I'm so happy to read that : ) Please share your travels in Azerbaijan and Ukraine when you can, how exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally got around to documenting my 24 hours in Kiev

      http://cheburashkachels.blogspot.de/2015/02/christmas-eve-in-kiev.html

      Enjoy! :)

      Delete