Monday, October 6, 2014

Oktoberfest 2014

I know that I'm still behind on posting about my Scandinavia trip (unfortunately blogging tends to take the back seat when life gets super busy), but I wanted to dedicate a post to recounting my experiences at Munich's most well-know event - the Oktoberfest!

My first trip to the Oktoberfest or Wiesn was on Saturday, September 20th - opening day, when some friends braved the crowds to get a spot at the table and I was able to join them a bit later in the day.  That first day was my most extreme Wiesn experience.  I wore my dirndl and got to experience the atmosphere of the tent from traditional Bavarian music to dancing on the benches and singing along to the "Schlager" hits.  It was 8 hours of awesome, but I was definitely glad to be in bed by shortly after 11 that night.

First Oktoberfest visit!
The next day I found myself at the Oktoberfest once again, but only in the evening.  Mario and I ate k√§sekrainer and climbed up the Bavaria statue to enjoy a view of the fest at night.

Monday I found myself at the fest for the third day in a row with my host kiddo.  We ate Zuckerwatte (cotten candy) twice the size of kiddo's head and drank some delicious hot chocolate.  We took a ride on the Ferris Wheel and kiddo got to bring home an adorable little stuffed monkey.  

My next visits to the Wiesn weren't until the next weekend, but I packed the weekend full with a visit on Friday night, Saturday afternoon, and Sunday evening. What can I say? Different friends kept asking to go and I could just somehow never say no. 

Oktoberfest girls night



When your friend comes from France specifically for the Wiesn you just have to meet up there....and take goofy selfies!
Sixth visit to the Oktoberfest!


My seventh and eighth visits came early in the next week, but coincidentally on the same day! Both visits that day were more child-oriented though, so no bier was consumed and therefore, according to Mario, those visits don't count.  But I disagree because I still did plenty of Oktoberfesty things like wear a dirndl, eat delicious sausages and roasted nuts and ride some classic rides. 

My 9th and final visit to the Oktoberfest came on Sunday, the last day of the festivities. It felt a lot like bringing it around full circle, as like on opening day, I found myself once again in a tent with three other friends.  We sat next to a nice couple from California and had a nice chat with them. I couldn't stay very long because I had to scurry off to babysitting, but it was a great final Oktoberfest hurrah none the less.  

Here's to more Oktoberfest fun next year! Prost!



1 comment:

  1. Such fun! I do believe you are going to have to purchase a few more dirndls for your festivities next year! I will probably not get to experience Oktoberfest for myself until someday after I retire...the middle of the school year is NOT a good time to be away from my job. Glad you had so many 1st Oktoberfest memories, Chels! :-)

    ReplyDelete