Friday, June 6, 2014

Week in Review

Today rounds out my third week here in Germany and I thought I'd give a little recap of what I've been up to this week.  Hopefully these weekly reviews can become a regular thing!

Monday: Monday was met with many hugs for my little munchkin, whom I had missed so much during my long weekend in Berlin (more to come on that later!).  Her and I were both a little sick, but a play date was arranged with a neighborhood friend and when she had worn herself out we cuddled on the couch with a movie. Monday also was the beginning of another week of German lessons with my super awesome teacher.

Tuesday: Another morning of Deutsch lernen followed by a döner in the city with Mario.  Tuesday afternoon brought all sorts of surprises.  Upon arriving at kindergarten I found out that my host kiddo's bike chain was tangled up beyond hope and we had to leave it at the bike shop near the kindergarten.  Then, since we were going to be late for tennis if we walked home and then walked to the tennis courts I needed to attempt to contact Oma to see if she could pick us up, a task which was made much harder due to my currently defective cell phone.  In the end everything worked out and all's well that ends well, right? :) Tuesday afternoon I also had an appointment at the bank.  So now I'm not only an official resident, but also the holder of a German bank account! More and more "official" every day!

Wednesday: Wednesday morning's sunshine deceived us when the skies darkened and the rain fell steadily on our heads as we biked to ballet.  Little munchkin was coughing a lot and was reluctant to detach herself from my leg in the hallway outside of the ballet studio.  About halfway through she also came downstairs to ask for another coughdrop.  While she is in ballet I chat with the other moms downstairs and even though I am obviously MUCH younger than them and, well, not a mom, we still have nice conversation and it's better than sitting alone for an hour. After ballet we played a bit, but around 7:30 my host kiddo fell asleep fast and hard on the couch and slept for the rest of the night.  I was thankful for the unexpected extra couple of hours to do some German homework and have a nice chat with my host mom when she got home from work.

Displaying IMG_20140604_144339.jpg
Collecting snails in the park 

Thursday: This week Thursday felt a lot like Friday.  For one thing, it was my last day of German lessons for the week. It also felt like a Friday though because I got to go into the city for a while in the evening.  Near the old Olympic stadium there are some super cool student bungalows. Each bungalow is a tiny  little apartment with really, just enough space for one person and his or her essentials.  They are split up over two levels with a small kitchen and bathroom downstairs and a little bedroom with a balcony upstairs. So cute and cozy! What's even better though is that they are surrounded by an awesome green park area and a big group of the students were having a little barbecue party.  I ended up sitting by and chatting with a girl who had done an au pair year in Ohio and a guy who had done a year of volunteer work in Michigan.  Something that I really enjoyed about the evening was that people were speaking to and with me in German.  Often here in Germany when someone finds out where I am from they switch to English more or less immediately. Since I'm in Germany and trying to improve my German I really appreciate any chances to practice :)

This weekend the weather is supposed to be absolutely gorgeous, so I'm looking forward to lots of time spent outside in the sun!

No comments:

Post a Comment