Sunday, February 9, 2014

Hatin' on Russia

A few days ago, Katherine at 8 Months in Ukraine shared this article (http://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/8-viral-sochi-olympics-photos-that-are-total-lies-1517429839) about some of the FAKE bad press coming out of the Sochi Olympics.  What conditions are actually like, I can not say (because I'm not there), but all of this schadenfreude is getting under my skin.  So, in the spirit lightening the mood and recognizing that sometimes strange mishaps befall you no matter where you are in the world, here are a few stories of the oddities of life in the land that many of these complaining journalists themselves come from. (aka, my life haha)

On Thursday evening, I had to call maintenance because I was quite literally trapped inside of my bedroom.  When the first worker arrived, he seemed to have no idea that someone was actually stuck inside of the room even though my roomie told him that on the phone.  It's a good thing he didn't decide to push that maintenance request to the next morning, as our maintenance is known to do. Even better, he couldn't figure out how to remedy the situation and had to call in reinforcements (okay, so really only one other guy came who actually knew something about removing door knobs).  In the end we all had a good laugh and didn't make much of it, but heaven forbid there be a door mishap in Sochi and we'll hear ALLLLL about it.

Oh wait...we already did...

U.S. bobsledder Johnny Quinn trapped in bathroom, breaks door to escape

Sometimes the toilet in my bathroom just doesn't flush.  I open up the tank, mess with  something, and suddenly it works again...I bet most of the toilets in Sochi flush more consistently than mine!

Really? This is the thing that has surprised you the most in Sochi? Have you been living under a rock your whole life? This is so extremely common in so many parts of the world!!!


Anyhow, joking aside, I'm much happier to see reports of medal counts and Russia's very own stunning 15 year-old Yulia Lipnitskaia coming out of Sochi these days.  The Olympics should be about celebrating athleticism and great achievements, no matter which country happens to be playing host in any given year!

And I'll leave you with one more article to ponder...it's a good one! 


"As faves and retweets on @SochiProblems explode, it's clear that the #SochiProblems meme is based on cultural misunderstandings borne out of sheltered ignorance. The posts reflect actual issues that directly impact the quality of life of Russia’s 143 million people."


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out, Chelesa :)

    That article you shared at the bottom is a very thought-provoking read. I'm definitely going to share it on FB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am proud of the perspective you have, Chelsea, having lived in Russia and Ukraine. I have gained so much knowledge from you on the every day lives of Russians and Ukranians, and I find the "Russia bashing" to be tiresome and mean-spirited. It just really goes to show the ignorance of people who have not spent any time in this area of the world, and don't understand what daily life there is like.

    ReplyDelete