Thursday, January 9, 2014

New Year's Eve in Prague!




On the morning of the 31st we woke up to an early alarm. We drank coffee and ate cereal and then I prepared some food to take on the road while Mario got the car ready to go. After promising his Mom that I would make Mario drive slowly and carefully we left the house, picked up two friends, and were on our way to Prague! Although it was barely 9 in the morning, no "open container" laws in Europe meant beers in the car on the way to Prague (except for the driver, of course!).
Minion comes with to Prague!
Where we would park the car all day and most of thr night had been a point of discussion on the drive to Prague. Once we got to Prague, however, we scored the ultimate free street parking! It did take us a while to find anyone who spoke English (or German or Russian or ANYTHING but Czech) to confirm that we were actually free to park there, but when we happened to ask a nice woman who works at the American Embassy in Prague, she assured us that we were free to park there and that we were super lucky to have found that parking spot.

On our little walk from the parking to the center, an older gentleman heard the boys speaking German and struck up a conversation.  It turns out that he had worked as a cameraman based in Germany for 30 years and gave us some information and advice about Prague.

Our new friend in Prague
Once we were in the center we bought our tickets for the club (Central Europe's largest club!) for that night and went to find the other two friends who had come by train to Prague.  By this point we were all getting pretty hungry, so we went into a restaurant in the center for some lunch. The rest of the day and evening was spent sightseeing around Prague and just enjoying the city and being together with friends.  By later in the evening we wanted to find somewhere to go inside and have a drink, but nearly everywhere was "reservation only" and "special NYE programs" so it took us a while to actually find even one single place where we could actually get a table.  Having warmed up and relaxed a bit, we headed to Charles Bridge to meet the New Year! There were more people than I could have possibly imagined on that bridge and things got a little crazy when rockets were let off and champagne bottles were popped open right in the middle of the crowd. The fireworks at midnight, however, were extremely impressive and went on for quite some time. We hardly knew were to look, as fireworks were going off in all directions.  When the fireworks had ended it took a while for all of us to get off the bridge and find each other again.  When we did all finally regroup, we went to join in on another unbelievably crowded experience - the club! To begin with, the line just to enter the club was nothing short of ridiculous.  I have never been in such a chaotic, pushy, shoving line in all of my life.  A French guy tried to start a fight with our friend Thomas, a creepy drunk German guy was hitting on me, and at least a dozen times I was certain that I was going to get trampled and killed.  But trampled and killed I was not and we finally made our way into the club where we were each given a bottle of champagne with our entrance and hit the hot, crowded dance floors.  In the spirit of it being New Year's Eve and also a spontaneous, wild day, I had a good time despite the nearly unbearable temperatures and crowding in the club.  I think I would like to go back to that club someday on a normal Friday or Saturday night.  I'm pretty sure it would be even more fun and wayyy more chilled out!

Finally found a place with a free table!!!
\
Displaying IMG_20131231_143525.jpg

Displaying IMG_20131231_201743.jpg


I think some of the guys would have liked to shut down the club at 8 AM, but by a little after 5 at least some of us, myself included, were ready to be done. It was around 6 AM when we left Prague and kudos to Mario for getting us all safely home, despite the fact that he hadn't slept in 24 hours.  When we got home to Hilpoltstein we showered and then immediately crashed until the afternoon.

Despite our sleepiness, we still managed to make something out of New Year's Day.  In the late afternoon we drove over to Mario's grandparents' house to wish them a Happy New Year and visit for a bit with them and some other relatives. For some reason I was really nervous on the drive over there. Mostly just about being the awkward foreign girlfriend.  I didn't want to do anything to embarrass myself and I guess I'm just the type of person who really wants others to like me.  I didn't have anything to worry about though, because Mario's whole family is super nice and I was actually really proud of myself for understanding more German than the last time I met them and being able to participate in the conversations a bit. Before we left I got to see their dairy cows and barn cats and we all know kitties make everything better :)

In the evening Mario studied a little bit and I finished my cross stitch of a cute little hedgehog holding a balloon before finishing off the night by watching dart championships on TV.

Yet again we managed to pull off one heck of a New Year's Eve, number three as the super duper Mario-Chelsea team! Happy 2014 everybody!


1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a NYE story!! : ) Prague was definitely a great choice.

    PS: Would love to see a pic of your hedgehog cross stich, it sounds really cute!

    ReplyDelete