Friday, May 31, 2013

Tuesday, May 28

It’s almost 11:30 PM and still not completely dark outside here in Petersburg, but I am all tired out.  I don’t have internet where I’m staying, so I’ll have to post this at some later date.  I was met at the airport last night and brought to my host for the week.  I honestly had no clue what my living situation would be, but the woman I’m staying with is extremely nice, the apartment is close to the school, and I have my own big, comfortable room.  Another girl also lives here who is studying in Saint Petersburg, but I haven’t seen her yet (and still haven’t when I am posting this on Friday haha). Today my day didn’t start particularly early, but I was at the main school around 10.  Thankfully I didn’t get lost on the way there and it felt good to be able to use my Russian to explain to the standard Russian door guard why I needed to enter the building, but didn’t have any sort of company ID.  In general, it just felt great to be using Russian again all day J At the school I met with the director of academics who showed me the main course books for the camp, gave me my schedule, and briefed me a bit on camp teacher life. I’m lucky to have two different long weekends between camp sessions, so hopefully I can fit a few more adventures into the summer. I then spent the next several hours looking through books of supplementary materials, while one of the women who works in reception kept worrying that I hadn’t gone to lunch yet.  A little before three I finally headed out for some fresh air, sunshine, and lunch.  I ended up at McDonalds, simply because I was desperate for free wifi.  I gave mom a call and made some contact with the outside world a little bit before heading back to the school to observe a class.  Then the real fun began as I had a chance to do my first tiny bit of city exploration! I wandered relatively aimlessly for about three hours, basking in the beautiful weather and everything that is Petersburg.  For sure it is much more bustling than either Kharkov or Munich and overall feels gigantic!

As usual when I arrive in a new place my appetite has been  all but nonexistent today, so after a rather pathetic excuse for a dinner I looked through some more materials, had a nice warm shower, and spent the rest of the evening relaxing.  I’m so thankful for this opportunity to see such a famous city and to teach for such a great company in a part of the world which holds a special place in my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment