Friday, May 31, 2013

Deutschland Update

I wrote this post the a few days before I left Germany, but then things got busy and I was traveling and without internet and blah blah blah, soooo better late than never??

I've been in Germany for about two and a half weeks now, so I suppose it's time for an update.  The first weekend was all about Mario's birthday and we spent it in Hilpoltstien.  On Thursday we took the train there, as it was a public holiday and no one had work or university, and had a delicious birthday lunch with his family.  After lunch we set off on a bike tour and ended up riding 60 km or about 40 miles. It was a bit more than I was expecting, so I was pretty tired out by the end of that adventure!! On the bright side, we had ice cream at the half-way point of the ride and I slept like a baby that night! On Friday we went on an IKEA adventure and explored Nuremberg a bit. Saturday night we found ourselves at a short film festival and by Sunday morning we were already on our way back to Munich.  Sunday evening we spent relaxing in the sauna because who doesn't love 15 minutes in 90 degree Celsius heat followed by a bucket of ice cold water being poured on your head? But really, it was very nice.
Monday morning I spent relaxing a bit before heading into the center to do a little shopping.  I bought a pair of jeans and a fun summer dress at H&M, although I was oh so tempted to buy all sorts of other cute stuff ;) That afternoon Markus just happened to be exploring Munich with a friend from Sweden, so I met Mario and then we met them to walk around for a bit.  The friend from Sweden, Rebecca, was super fun and cool and I'm glad that the four of us had that short afternoon together.
The rest of the week I spent my afternoons in Unterhaching after Leni came home from school and we had some happy afternoons and evenings together enjoying the nice weather and playing lots of piano.
Friday afternoon we were back on a train headed north for another weekend in Hilpolstein! After a lunch of Shnitzel Mario studied a bit while I read short stories and relaxed a bit.  In the evening it was cold and rainy, but we took the car out and went driving around a bit and, armed with a big umbrella, walked around a bit as well. I saw the school where Mario's mom teachers and also where he went for elementary school.
Saturday the weather was much better, so after lunch we headed out to enjoy the beautiful day! We went to to a fun little place with an alpine slide, mini golf, and a wild animal park.  After one go on the alpine slide we ate ice cream and played mini golf.  Going into the last hole it was tied, but Mario had the lucky shot and became the mini-golf champion! After that we decided we would do one more time on the alpine slide so that we could try out the other track - such fun! Our next stop was the lake, where we rented a paddle boat for half an hour and, naturally, paddled around the lake a bit. When we got home we took the old motor scooter they have out for a ride and enjoyed the countryside under the setting sun. An evening of watching Eurovision on the tv was in order with Denmark claiming the win.
Sunday we had a nice lunch out with Mario's parents and I wore my new dress.  The beautiful weather tricked us into going on an excursion, but even though the temperature dropped and the sunshine was replaced with some unwelcome rain and clouds, we made the best of our afternoon all the same. We explored a bit of Kelheim and took a boat on the Danube to and from a monastery complex. After checking out the Hall of Liberation back in Kelheim we were thankful to be back in the warm car and spent the evening keeping warm at home. There was much excitement later that night when Mario bought his plane tickets to the US!!! Officially counting down the days until September 8th!
Monday was another nice day in Hilpoltstein with an afternoon bike ride before our train back to Munich.  Waiting for me back in Munich was my dear childhood friend Erica!!! Her university's music groups are on a Europe tour and they had a free night in Munich!! I hadn't seen her in more than a year, so needless to say we were beyond excited for this reunion! I also got to see my high school choir director who is now working at the university and was completely surprised to also see a NSLI-Y friend, Max.  Mario stuck around for a bit, but I can't blame him for eventually deciding to head home, as all Erica and I were doing was non-stop girl talking ;) Many of the people from the university were going to a club downtown, so we went there as well, where we girl talked some more, had a few drinks, and eventually hit the dance floor.  We left a bit after 1 AM with ringing ears and big smiles on our faces.  Erica and Max took a taxi back to their hotel and I hopped on the metro. What an awesomely fun night! My social life the past year has been anything but normal, so a night with such a close friend was beyond perfect!
This past week I have spent my days in Unterhaching with the kiddos so that their mom can go to work without worrying about living them alone at home all day.  The weather was unpleasant the entire week and it was even hailing yesterday, but we had lots of fun indoors none the less.  There were lots of silly games to be played, many a cookie to be baked, and lots of piano time with my little Leni.
Friday night Mario had plans and reserved tickets to watch The Great Gatsby at a cinema which was showing it in English.  Well, after a completely stupid situation which I would rather not write about right now, we didn't end up seeing the movie. But life goes on and we ended up watching Groundhog's Day at home (well, most of it anyway. we both fell asleep before the end.)
Today and tomorrow are my last full days here in Munich before I fly out to St. Petersburg on Monday.  One week from Monday my job starts and I'm sure it will all just be a whirlwind from there!

No comments:

Post a Comment