Monday, April 22, 2013

Alyona

This little sweetheart is one of the reasons why leaving Ukraine is going to be so hard.  I haven't known her very long, but she already has stolen a very special place in my heart.  Little Alyona, with her light brown hair and wide brown eyes, will proudly tell you that, while she used to be 3, she is now 4 years old and will someday even be 5.  She is happiest when she is dressed in pink and loves all things girly - doing my hair, putting on lipstick, painting nails, necklaces. She loves to be held, even though the caretaker tells her that she's too big for that.  She holds my hand tight when it's time for her group to go in for dinner and I promise her "until next week" with a big hug. The first day we met she started calling me "mama" and begged her caretaker to let her come home with me - "just for a little bit? please!".  It breaks my heart that all the kiddos that we come to play with in that orphanage are growing up without a mama's love, but I am so thankful for that small but loyal group of volunteers who show-up with hugs, smiles, and love each and every week.  So while my time left in Kharkov (for now) is limited, I'm going to love those little sweethearts while I still can! And even when I leave I definitely won't forget them, especially my darling Alyona. :)






1 comment:

  1. Such a sweet, sweet little angel! I am thankful that you have had the opportunity to reach out to the orphans of Kharkiv, and I know that when you get back there you will once again spend as much time as you are able to with those kiddos. I am keeping all of them in my prayers, and hoping that someday they all will know the love of a parent. Thank you, Chelsea, and all of the volunteers and caretakers who make a difference in the lives of these children.

    ReplyDelete