Saturday, March 30, 2013

Day 4 - Yerevan

The "I'm not feeling so well" of Saturday night quickly spiraled downwards into all sorts of unpleasantness.  Saturday night I was miserable - shivering and achy with fever! I even found myself sneaking out of my bunk to go steal some of Mario's warmth and comfort.  Sunday morning, despite feeling icky, I got myself out of bed so that we could go see more of Yerevan.  We went to a large market where Mario bought several souvenirs and then to the Cascade.  At the top of the Cascade we checked out the statue celebrating 50 years of Soviet Armenia, a small park of attractions, and the Mother Armenia statue, which replaced a statue of Stalin in 1967.  By the time we had been out and abouting for a while my sick little self couldn't take it anymore and around 3 we headed back to the hostel where I curled up in bed for the rest of the afternoon.  I hate not being able to explore from morning until night while on a trip, but my body won out in this battle. Mario went out to see a few more things and then we went together to get something to eat.  We drank tea and chatted with other guests at the hostel for a little bit before bed.  We especially had a nice time sharing travel stories with a traveler from Japan who was basically on a trip around the entire world.

Right outside the "Republic Square" metro stop entrance


Market where Mario got his souvies 

Cascade


We had a lot of stairs to climb!

big, fat, cat!


Headed up!


Another shot of Yerevan from a little higher up

monument marking 50 years of Soviet Armenia and Mario is accidentally in the picture making a silly face

park entrance



Mother Armenia


Zoravar Church - Mario went to check it out while I was resting

It was very crowded because of the holiday



Ok, so this picture isn't so terribly appropriate, but let me explain.  There is a lot of conflict between the Armenian and Azeri governments concerning the Najorno-Karabakh breakaway region in Azerbaijan.  This conflict really makes it way down to the level of average citizens harboring great amounts of hate for the Azeri people and vice versa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive